Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Noodle use your noodle

When my oldest was little he loved a show called PB&J Otter.  They were brother and sister otters that would figure out problematic situations by doing their noodle dance.  The dance song started with the line noodle use your noodle.  One night I came home with the full intention of making beef and noodles from leftover roast.  I opened my freezer and started digging for my favorite brand of frozen noodles.  None in sight.  Great now what was I going to do.  I got out my cook books and started looking.  I came across an egg noodle recipe that seemed simple enough.  They turned out wonderful!!  I was paying around 3.50 a bag for my favorite frozen noodles.  This recipe makes the same amount and costs 75 cents. 

2 cups flour
2 large eggs
2 tbsp of oil*
2 tbsp of water
2 tbsp of milk
1/2 tsp of salt.

Beat the eggs.  Add in the oil, water, salt, and flour.  Mix well with a fork to form dough.  Roll thin on a well floured surface.  Cut into then strips with a pizza cutter.  Drop into boiling broth.  Cook for 20-25 minutes.

This works well for beef and noodles or chicken and noodles.
*I used olive oil once and it gave the noodles a different taste.  We didn't like it so I stick to canola oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment