Sunday, December 11, 2011

The most amazing peanut butter cups ever

When I was in second grade I, along with most of the kids in my grade school, got the chicken pox.  My mom made these for my sister and I to help ease the misery.  I have made these dozens of times since then.  Everyone says that are even better then  Reese's pb cups.
For the chocolate:
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
6 pieces of chocolate flavored almond bark

For the filling:
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

First mix the filling together and roll into balls (12 or 24 depending*).  They should be soft but hold their shape.
Set them aside and melt the almond bark and peanut butter together according to the directions on the back of the package.  I prefer the microwave method. It is extremely important to do it as directed and not try to rush the process.  You will burn the almond bark and it will taste nasty (personal experience)

Once melted place a small amount of the chocolate mixture into a baking cup (like for cupcakes).  Take one of the balls and smash it a little so it is more like a hamburger patty than a ball.  Place the patty in the same cup as the chocolate then cover with more of the chocolate mixture.  Repeat until all the cups are full.  Place in the freezer for about five minutes to set hard.  Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

*This recipe will make either 12 full size baking cups or 24 of the small baking cups.  I prefer the small ones because these are rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment